Surrender Your Pet Information
||Thank you for choosing Midwest Animal Rescue & Services (MARS) in wanting to re-home your pet. We understand that it is a difficult process to say goodbye to a beloved friend, especially when it seems that the goodbye comes earlier than it should. We do have services available to assist you if there is a behavior or medical concern that, if addressed, would allow the dog or cat to remain at your side. Please note that for non-MARS dogs, we have limited availability to take in owner surrenders. We also have limited availability to take in cats/kittens.
Once your form is submitted, you will be contacted to begin the process as follows:
- Schedule an assessment. An assessment is necessary for all animals coming into MARS. This will allow us to identify needs the animal may have in their foster home and provide us with the necessary information about your dog or cat to match them with a foster home.
- When coming for the assessment please bring the following:
- All medical records, including current vaccines, spay/neuter, microchip and/or any other paperwork regarding your pet
- A favorite treat and a favorite toy
- Food your pet has been eating
- Once the assessment is scheduled we will begin looking for a foster home. This may take some time as we are a foster based rescue or may require additional information obtained during an assessment. Sometimes we are able to find a foster who will pickup immediately following the assessment, however this is the exception so please note that you will need to return home with your pet until a foster home is secured. The average length of time is a week so beginning this process as early as possible is critical. (Extenuating circumstances will be handled on a case by case basis.)
- Following the assessment you will need to sign a surrender contract. As explained in 3, the physical surrender may or may not occur at this time. Please come prepared for both the physical surrender OR to return home with the animal on a temporary foster agreement.
While we do not require a surrender fee, we do ask for a donation, no matter how small, to help cover the costs of re-homing your pet. We will consider every dog/cat with or without a donation.
All MARS adopted dogs please use this form also. Although we want our dogs returned to us if you can no longer care for them, we do need to follow the same process.